Rhonda Patrick, Ph.D. and I go on a Nerd Safari into the jungle of health, nutrition, fitness, performance, and longevity. We visit IGF-1 and whether there’s a tradeoff between having high or low levels. We discuss the PPARs (receptor proteins) and genetic polymorphisms. Does Rhonda think there’s any benefit in a NAD+ booster for health and longevity? Can saunas lower the risk of heart disease, dementia, and all-cause mortality? We dig into those questions…and a lot more.
Rhonda is a wealth of knowledge and was the perfect companion to explore several interesting topics in this episode. She puts a great deal of thought and effort into her research, and it really shows in this conversation.
- What Rhonda believes differently today than she did a few years ago;
- The paradox of GH/IGF-1 in performance and longevity;
- The role of PPAR in fat metabolism and ketogenic diets;
- The possible genetic explanations for why some patients don’t respond well to a ketogenic diet;
- The health benefits of heat and cold exposure;
- NAD+; and