In this five-part series, Thomas Dayspring, M.D., FACP, FNLA, a world-renowned expert in lipidology, and one of Peter’s most important clinical mentors, shares his wealth of knowledge on the subject of lipids. In Part III, Peter and Tom dig into why “reverse cholesterol transport” is a lot more nuanced than what most of us are taught, lipid transport, apolipoproteins, and more. In addition, this episode highlights the complexity of HDL and a discussion about the CETP inhibitor trials.
- Reverse cholesterol transport [1:40];
- Lipid transportation, apolipoproteins, VLDL, IDL, and LDL particles [11:00];
- Remnant lipoproteins and apoC-III [16:45];
- Particles having sex: lipid exchange [28:00];
- Cholesteryl Ester Transfer Protein (CETP) and CETP inhibitors [40:45];
- 2006 CETP inhibitor trial: torcetrapib (Pfizer) [54:45];
- 2012 CETP inhibitor trial: dalcetrapib (Hoffmann–La Roche) [56:15];
- 2017 CETP inhibitor trials: evacetrapib (Eli Lilly) and anacetrapib (Merck) [58:00]; and
Thomas Dayspring, M.D., FACP, FNLA
Thomas Dayspring, MD, FACP, FNLA is the chief academic officer for True Health Diagnostics, LLC. He provides scientific leadership and direction for the company’s comprehensive educational programs. Dr. Dayspring is a fellow of both the American College of Physicians and the National Lipid Association. He is certified in internal medicine and clinical lipidology.
Before relocating to Virginia in 2012, Dr. Dayspring practiced medicine in New Jersey for 37 years. Over the last two decades, he has given over 4,000 domestic and international lectures, including over 600 CME programs on topics such as atherothrombosis, lipoprotein and vascular biology, biomarker testing, and women’s cardiovascular issues.
Dr Dayspring is an Associate Editor of the Journal of Clinical Lipidology. He has authored or co-authored numerous manuscripts published across leading journals such as the American Journal of Cardiology, the Journal of Clinical Lipidology, and several lipid-related book chapters. He was the recipient of the 2011 National Lipid Association President’s Award for services to clinical lipidology. [truehealthdiag.com]
- Employed full time for last three years by True Health Diagnostics, LLC, which provides biomarker diagnostics and clinical services to clinicians, patients, and healthcare organizations
- 2017: small consulting project for Abbvie
Tom on Twitter: @DrLipid