Recording artist, songwriter, essayist, investor, and so much more: D.A. Wallach is a true polymath. In this episode, among the highlights, D.A. provides compelling and colorful insight into how the music industry works today vs the past, liquid biopsies, how to approach healthspan, and how we can reach a “singularity” in medicine.
- How to learn music as a kid and an adult [7:30];
- Chester French’s early struggles and ultimate success [16:45];
- Learning to learn, fostering curiosity in kids, and balancing creativity with structure [31:30];
- D.A.’s musical inspirations [44:30];
- History of the music industry, Spotify, and other disruptive technologies [50:00];
- The past, present, and future of medicine, hospitals, and healthcare [1:05:30];
- Investing in health [1:16:30];
- What D.A. is most excited about in the future of medicine [1:22:00];
- Liquid biopsies, how to make sense of the morass of sensitivity, specificity, positive predictive value, negative predictive value, true negatives, false positives, false negatives, and true positives in cancer screening…and the Swiss cheese metaphor [1:33:00];
- The immune system, inflammation, and allergies [2:05:45]; and
D.A. Wallach is a recording artist, songwriter, investor, and essayist who Kanye West and Pharrell Williams discovered while he was an undergraduate at Harvard College. He has been featured in GQ, Rolling Stone, Vogue, and numerous other publications, and has toured with N*E*R*D, Lady Gaga, and Weezer. D.A. has also performed on TV Shows including Jimmy Kimmel Live and Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.
As one half of Chester French, D.A. has released three full-length albums, and has written and performed on records with Janelle Monae, Rick Ross, Diddy, and many others. His solo debut for Capitol Records, Time Machine, is available at: www.TimeMachineAlbum.com
Beyond music, D.A. invests in and advises several start-up technology companies, including SpaceX, Doctor On Demand, Ripple, Emulate and Spotify, where he was the official Artist in Residence. Forbes selected D.A. as one of its 30 Under 30 and Fast Company named him one of the 100 Most Creative People in Business. In 2015, he launched Inevitable Ventures, an investment partnership with multibillionaire Ron Burkle that supports radical entrepreneurs in areas including health care, the life sciences, and financial technologies.
In 2016, D.A. made his feature film debut in La La Land, which won a record number of Golden Globe Awards and received 14 Academy Award nominations, making it one of the 3 most nominated films in history. He frequently publishes essays on media, technology, and philosophy at dawallach.com and Medium. [dawallach.com]
DA on Facebook: D.A. Wallach
DA on Instagram: @dawallach
DA on Twitter: @dawallach
DA’s website: dawallach.com