This clip is from “Ask Me Anything” (AMA) episode #16, originally released on October 12, 2020.
If you’re a member, you can now listen to this full episode on your private RSS feed or on our website. If you are not a member, learn more about the how to become a member and the benefits here.
How stress can show up as physical pain, and tips for changing time zones
Peter’s recent move to Texas
- Peter recently finished moving his family from California to Texas
- All things considered, it went well, but he did experience some added stress
- In fact, his therapist told him, “Just to set your expectations, a move of this nature is among the three most stressful events to your marriage. . .on par with divorce and death.”
How stress can show up as physical pain
- In the weeks leading up to the move, Peter was experiencing some physical pain in his body
- Amazingly, the pain dissipated once the move was complete
- He calls it an “aha moment”
- Mechanistically, it’s hard to explain “why higher levels of cortisol. . .would actually lead to physical pain in my body. But there’s no question about it.”